Lamb Cutlet Casserole
Prep Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
1 dessert spoon of vegetable oil
2 large onions peeled and sliced thickly into rings
1 medium carrots chopped (or baby carrots)
5 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 low salt vegetable stock cube*
1/2 pt/275ml of warm water
1 dessertspoon plain flour
2 dessert spoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs (optional)
pinch of salt if desired ground pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 160°C / 325°F / Gas Mark 3.
2. Partially cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 5 minutes, then slice thinly.
3. Cook cutlets in a frying pan over a low heat for 5-10 mins until browned, turning once. Put on a warm plate.
4. Add the onions to the pan and cook gently for 2-3 minutes until browned.
5. Drain off all but 1 tablespoon of juice from the pan.
6. Scatter the flour in the pan and cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
7. Dissolve the Stock in 1 ⁄ 2pint/275ml of boiling water. Add the stock, worcestershire sauce and mixed herbs. Cook until thickened. Add the salt and pepper to taste.
8. To assemble: lightly grease a casserole dish. Lay half the potatoes on the base, then top with lamb cutlets, carrots and peas. Pour over the thickened stock and onions. Lay the rest of the potatoes on top.
9. Cook in the oven for 45 minutes until cutlets are tender and the potatoes on the surface are golden.