Saffron Rice Pudding (SholeZard) is a sweet pudding. This pudding originally is from Iran and several years a go it was served only on special occasions like Persian New Year. But nowadays people serve it as a dessert all the time not just in new year.
1. Rinse the rice with cool water, put the rice and 2 cups of water in a bowl, soak it overnight.
2. Drain the soaked rice, place in a large pot, add 3 cups of water, bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat and cook over low heat until rice is soft, stirring occasionally. Add more water if needed.
4. Add sugar to the pot and stir until it is completely dissolved and make sure to stir the rice every so often so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
5. Add butter, ground cardamom, rosewater and saffron to the rice.
6. Continue cooking the pudding on the stove top on low heat until it is dense. Five minutes before serving it add silvered almonds.
7. Place it in small bowls. Garnish with cinnamon and slivered almond or pistachio. Let cool before serving.