Lubia Polo (green bean rice) is a Persian meal with an amazing taste. It’s so quick and easy to prepare. Lubia means green beans and polo means rice. Polo or rice pilaf is a Mediterranean dish. Cooked onion, garlic, carrots, green beans and other vegetables as well as mix of spices, may be added to the rice. Depending on the local cuisine, it may additionally contain meat, fish, chicken or dried fruit.
To make lubia polo, all you need is rice, meat, green beans, onion, tomatoes and of course spices. It’s so delicious so make it and impress your family. 🙂
Also my favorite kitchen tool is instant pot. Not only is it fast, it infuses flavor into everything it cooks. If you don’t have an Instant Pot yet, I highly recommend one.
If you don’t have instant pot you can stewed meat in saucepan. Follow the below instructions to cook meat first:
1- Add oil to a medium-sized saucepan and place it on high-heat. As soon as oil is hot, add chopped onion. cook, until soften.
2- Then add meat, salt, pepper, turmeric, cinnamon and 2 cups water, put the lid on and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium-low and simmer for 1½ – 2 hours, or until meat is cooked tender and soft. If needed, add a little water at a time not to scorch. After this step, follow the instruction number 4 in below to cook lubia polo.
Lubia Polo (green bean rice)
3 cups uncooked rice, rinsed and drained
600 g/ 1.3 lbs stew meat, cut in 1″ cubes
1 pound fresh green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
4 tomatoes, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2-3 cups water
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt, pepper
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1. Put the washed rice in a bowl, add 1 Tbsp salt, cover with water level 1 inch or above the rice, stir gently and set aside.
2. Add chopped onion, meat, salt, pepper, turmeric, cinnamon and 1 1/2 cup water to Instant Pot and mix all well.
3. Select Manual, meat/stew option. Adjust cooking time for 45 minutes.
4. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add 1/8 teaspoon salt and 3/4 tablespoon olive oil. Then add 3 cups rice, stir well.
5. Then add cooked meat, chopped tomatoes, chopped green beans, tomato paste, oil and mix well.
6. Lower the heat and allow it to cook until all the water is absorbed for about 10 to 15 minutes.
7. Sprinkle 3/4 tablespoon olive oil all over again.
8. Turn up the heat to medium high for about 5-8 minutes or more until the steam builds up well, then reduce the heat to the low setting for about 30 minutes .
9. Once the rice is ready, turn off the heat. Gently mix the layers of the Green bean rice.