Eggplant roll kebab or Islim Kebabi is a Turkish dish. This eggplant roll is wonderful melt-in-your-mouth experience of soft eggplant, tender beef and sturdy tomato sauce.
It’s really easy to make and fast. For making this delicious eggplant roll, all you need is ground beef, eggplant, tomatoes and onion. Traditionally, they use uncooked meatballs inside the eggplant roll, wrap it then bake it in the oven but I made this version with cooked beef. Instead of beef, you can use lamb or chicken too.
Any leftovers can also be kept in the freezer. Serve the eggplant packages hot with plain rice by the side.
Eggplant roll kebab
1 lb ground beef
1 onion, diced
8-10 small tomatoes
1 tsp tomato paste
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/3 cup of water
1. Wash the eggplant and peel in stripes, then cut in half lengthwise.
2. Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the eggplant until golden (about 6 minutes) on both sides.
3. Add more oil if necessary. Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel covered plate.
4. Next, Heat oil in a frying pan.
5. Add onion and garlic. Cook, until they soften.
6. Add ground beef and stir until well mixed and brown.
7. Add turmeric, salt, paprika to the mixture and stir until well mixed.
8. Add tomato paste and stir for 1-2 minutes.
9. Add 1/3 cup of water, lower the heat and let cook until water is evaporated.
Now time for assembling:
1. On a board or a plate, place one eggplant slice horizontally and the other slice vertically on top of each other and place the meat mixture in the middle.
2. Fold over the slices to wrap the meat mixture and place eggplant in a greased baking tray.
3. Lay a small tomato on top and fasten the eggplant with a cocktail stick. Repeat with the rest of the eggplant slices.
4. Mix the tomato paste with water, season with salt and pepper.
5. Pour this sauce around the eggplant and bake them in the oven for about 5-8 minutes. (350ºF)
6. Serve warm and enjoy.